When Laney arrived in Italy, I was so excited to finally meet her…and to get to know the American girl who would help me to speak English better and who gave me the opportunity to cook and join her blog!
It was love at first sight!
I spent three wonderful days with her, Monica and Cristina – eating, drinking and seeing places in Italy unknown even to me! We had such a great time!
On the last day of her stay we went to visit the antiques market of Badoere, also famous for white, green and purple ASPARAGUS.
In addition to tasting the typical dishes of asparagus, I also bought a lot of this wonderful vegetable: the green asparagus!
Here’s a quick, easy and delicious recipe using only a few simple ingredients, but the highlight is asparagus.
For dinner I often make different types of this salad cake (which is what we call it), because it’s fast and doesn’t require much preparation and cooking time. But when asparagus is fresh and in season, it’s my favorite!
Tortino agli Asparagi Verdi (Egg Tart with Asparagus)
- 80 grams (3 oz.) green asparagus
- 2 eggs
- 50 g (1/4 c.) cream
- 200 grams (7 oz.) Asiago cheese, diced
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Clean the asparagus with a vegetable peeler removing the woody part of the stem.
- Boil the asparagus whole in salted water for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the cream, mixing well.
- Cut the asparagus stalks into small pieces and keep the points aside.
- Add the cut asparagus to the eggs and cream.
- Roll out the dough and place in a parchment paper lined round baking pan or tart pan.
- Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cover the surface of the dough with cheese.
- Add the egg mixture with cream and asparagus
- Lay the asparagus's points on top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until slightly golden and the eggs are set.
Visit Marisa on her blog Un Ciclone in Cucina.