We seem to be on a bit of a sbrisolona kick at Ortensia Blu! I wanted to surprise my colleagues after the long summer break with something new and didn’t want to bake the usual chocolate or apple strudel. It had to be a mix of something light, fresh and still “estivo” or summer. Then Laney posted her sbrisolona recipe and since our strawberry season is coming to an end I wanted to combine the the sweetness of the fruit with a bit of chocolate to this traditional recipe. It had to be irresistible and this is what I came up with.
A wonderful gift for my work friends…
Sbrisolona alle Fragole e Cioccolato-Sbrisolona with Strawberries and Chocolate
Recipe type: Dessert
- 300 g (10 oz) ricotta cheese
- 250 g (9 oz) fresh cleaned strawberries, cut in pieces (mixed berries work well too)
- 120 g (2/3 c) sugar
- 30 g (1/4 c) dark Perugina chocolate chips (or semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 300 g (2 c) 00 flour or all purpose flour
- 60 g (1/4 c) brown sugar
- 60 g (1/3 c) white sugar
- 100 g (4 oz) butter, cut in pieces
- 16 g (4 tsp) baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- confectionary sugar for dusting
- Heat oven at 180°C/350°F.
- In a bowl add ricotta, strawberries, sugar, chocolate chips and mix well.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add flour, sugars, butter, baking powder and salt. Mix well at high speed for about 30 seconds. Add egg and mix again just until blended.
- The dough should be rough and not smooth.
- Lay ¾ of dough on a 24 cm/10 " round cake pan and press slightly with a wet spoon to cover surface.
- Add filling on top of dough and then place remaining dough, which will be crumbly, evenly over filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature, dusted with confectionary sugar.